Wednesday, July 30

Change

They switched the panhandler at my subway entrance. I wish they'd asked me. Don't we get to vote on this sort of thing? I'm furious.

I liked the old one. I spent months developing a rhythm and a relationship with him. Sometimes I'd give him money, sometimes not. It was cool. When I did I received a nice smile and maybe a "God Bless." When I didn't, he'd swear at me under his breath. We knew what the expect from each other. Now I have to start all over with this new guy.

The old one had an eye patch and weird teeth. He reminded my of a pirate. This new guy just appears to be over weight. What sort of eccentric character is that? And I don't like the way he asks for money. It's just a repetitive sing-songy "Please, can you help me out? Please. Please, can you help me out?" It's whiny and cliché. I mean, it sounds like begging. Eye Patch had a deep earthy voice, a baritone, and an ever shifty patter of blessings, observations and occasional swearing. He also tailored his pitch to each of us. His perceptiveness zeroed in on each of are quirks and personalities and he called it like he saw it. He always called me "Skinny White Boy" which is so dead on.

This new guy just seems to be going through the motions. I just don't know what the city is coming to.

(Honestly, I hope Eye Patch is okay.)