Monday, August 4

Nice

(This post may either read as vain or as self-defacing. I honestly don't know.)

I realized today, during practice and then class and then talking after class, that I am in a very comfortable place with improv right now. Maybe that is not a good place to be, but it feels good. I am on two teams that I adore. I am confident in my ideas and instincts that I rarely get stuck in my head. I'm not scared to make moves out of fear that they'll fall flat. (I just assume that who whatever team I am on will support it and we'll make it work.) In the same token, I feel like I am out there on stage not for myself but for the people I'm playing with.

I also know I am not great. I'm decent. But I am also playing for myself and my team and not any outside judge. I don't have huge aspirations beyond just getting better. My desire to learn is huge right now and it feels like I am... and putting what I learn into practice.

Part of this is that I have this nice balance of receiving compliments (which I like). But I also don't feel like I am being told "Oh, yeah. You're about to become noticed/big/whatever" (which I'm not... because, let's be honest, there is no where really to go). I have desires and wants and dreams as far as improv but 90% of them are things that only I (and teammates) can make happen.

I don't feel like I am resting on my laurels but I also don't feel any pressure. It's nice.