Sunday, July 20

The Late Night/Weekend/Brooklyn Train Paradox

Tonight I played MTA Shuffle. Apparently it was impossible for me to take a subway home tonight. I could come somewhat close but never quite get there.

Are you familiar with Zeno's Paradox? Basically, it says that the reach a destination you must first cross half the distance to the destination. But then you must cross half the distance from your new position to the destination. And so on. For example, if point A is 100 meters from point B, you must first go 50 meters first. And then you must go 25 more meters first. And then 12.5, 6.75, 3.375, and so on. By that logic you can never reach point B because you must always cross half the distance first.

That was my subway ride. Except add the corollary that at any time that I began to consider just leaving the subway, a train would arrive, stand with its doors closed for 5 minutes, open its doors, let us wait on the train for 6 minutes and then announce that the train was out of service. The closer one got to my home, the longer the waits would be.

I also lost 155 lbs tonight in sweat. Leaving me at negative 10 lbs. I do, however, now have the ability to pass through solid objects.