Monday, June 23

Deadliest Catch: Alaskan Storm, the video game

I'm not even where to start on this one. Look, I love the show but I'm not sure I want to play it.

Some choice bits from the press release:
Battle 40-foot waves, storms, ice and a nearly 100 percent crew member injury rate in the dangerous hunt for undersea riches on the Bering Sea with the new video game Deadliest Catch Alaskan Storm...
Okay, that sounds great and all but (1) it's crab fishing and (2) "nearly 100 percent crew member injury rate"?
Gamers then recruit and lead their own crew from a roster of 20 real crab fishermen. Selecting the wrong boat or recruiting the wrong crew member can mean the difference between landing a Bering Sea jackpot or disaster.
I love how it is real crab fishermen, like they making an NFL game with real players. Makes me want to start a fantasy crab fishing league.
With waves over 40 feet high, Deadliest Catch Alaskan Storm features the best wave effects in a video game to date.
Game designers love to brag about water effects. Hey, I understand that it's tricky business. And this is a case where it does matter. I mean, if you screw up the wave effects in a Deadliest Catch game, you don't have a whole lot else.

Let's look at some video:

Well, that does look a bit exciting. Not much crab fishing. Let's look at some gameplay:

Um... yeah... looks like... um...

I think I'll hold out for the MythBusters game (which I picture as a 3D platformer).