Wednesday, November 1

Just don't talk to me about LOST

I'm just done talking to people about LOST. If they bring it up, I will listen but I won't give them my 2 cents. Not unless, I know that they actually want to talk about the events of the show and not how it has disappointed them.

It's not that I don't care about their opinions. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. And LOST is a show that people devote a lot of energy and passion to. But I am sick and tired trying to defend this season. Or last season. Or everything after the pilot episode. The fact is I like the show and I like the story arc. I don't need new and exciting info every episode. I don't even need plot progression every episode. I don't care who Kate ends up sleeping with. I don't care if they play Sawyer as 'nice' or an 'asshole.' I don't care if they spend 42 minutes discussing philosophy. I don't care if the Losties get their butts kicked for 6 episodes in a row. I don't care who they kill off or who they bring back. I don't care if things make any logical sense now until the final episode of the final season.

Because, I believe for the first time in my life, I am a true fanboi.

I trust the writers implicitly. I will follow them down whatever road they take me. I love to debate what each element might possibly mean or if it means anything at all. I love to ponder the characters individual story arcs and how they relate back to their flashbacks. I adore the slow pace, the interlocking structure, and the fantastic imagery. I love parallels, the references, the call backs, the redherrings, the McGuffins, the fakeouts, the reveals. I love the music and the production values. I love the mystery, the complex mythos, the hundreds of unanswered questions. I don't need to be shocked, yet I am always awed.

I trust the writers and I don't want this show to be forced by people screaming what they want this show to be about to change their course. I want 7 seasons and then I want a finale. This is a show that I feel is so perfectly suited to the television format, that plays with the concept of time and episodic content, that proves that TV does have to be dumbed down or crap. This is a show that shows what scifi/fanatsy does well.

All I ask is that it makes perfect sense by the series finale. Not every question needs to be answered by then, but the unanswered ones need reasons for being unanswered.

That's all I want. So told tel me how you hate the show this season or how it has disappointed you. Because I am bored by trying to defend it. Either watch it or not. Talk t me about the hundreds of things about the show that are fun to discuss, not why you are about to 'stop watching if it doesn't get better soon.' I just want to enjoy the damn thing.



Now, if you want to hear my 10 minute rant on how and why Sorkin is screwing up Studio 60 or how quickly Gilmore Girls slipped this season after Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino left at the end of last season, step on in. Both of those shows are about to get booted from the Tivo if they don't get better soon.