Monday, May 8

Moussaoui: Wait, can I take that back?

Zacarias Moussaoui has asked if he can change his plea to not guilty.

Mmmm. Regardless of anything else about the case, it has been fascinating to watch him react to the U.S. justice system. No, it appears he has developed a certain amount of respect for the jury system.

Explaining his latest reversal, Moussaoui said in an affidavit: "I was extremely surprised" by the life sentence.

"I had thought I would be sentenced to death based on the emotions and anger toward me for the deaths on Sept. 11, but after reviewing the jury verdict and reading how the jurors set aside their emotions and disgust for me and focused on the law and the evidence ... I now see that it is possible that I can receive a fair trial even with Americans as jurors."


No, I understand that some of his twists and turns are because (1) he has/had little understanding of the justice system, (2) part of him wanted to be martyred, and (3) he's a bit crazy. But his statements also make me wonder how his sentence is playing in the rest of the world.